Our faith today is resting in the finished work of Jesus
but the Biblical faith was about doing radical works of following Jesus.
I have studied the entire old and new testament.
After seeing so many believers and denominations, and my own faith over the last 20 years, I realize that our faith is nothing compared to the Biblical faith.
The entire scriptures were written by Jews regarding their covenants with God that involved radical faith that required radical acts of obedience.
If we read Hebrews 11, we will find the Biblical faith where they had to radical works of obedience to God.
– Noah built an ark to house many many animals by faith.
– Abraham left his land by faith
– Abraham offered his only son to be sacrificed by faith
– Moses gave up the riches of Egypt to lead Israel by faith.
– The Israelites left Egypt and crossed the Red Sea by faith.
– They walked around the walls of Jericho and it fell, by faith.
– The Israelites conquered 7 nations to inherit the promised land.
– Jesus told the 12 Apostles to do signs and wonders.
– They were commanded to believe in Jesus and love one another like Jesus loved them (to fulfill the law).
– If they broke the commandment of loving one another, they were judged (see James 2, 1 Corinthians 5, Galatians 6, Romans 8, Acts 5)
– The Church sold everything and gave to the poor (Acts 2, Luke 12)
– They followed Jesus, carried the cross and died as martyrs (Revelation 2-3, Hebrews 12, Matthew 16).
– They faced tremendous persecution and problems (Matthew 24, 2 Corinthians 1-2, 1 Thessalonians-2 Thessalonians, etc.)
– That was the time of Great Tribulation. (1 Peter 4, 1 Cor 7)
– Those who sinned died on the spot in the churches.
– There was great judgment, and signs and wonders in the churches.
NONE of those things above happen today.
All you have to do is read the entire New Testament to see that they were the last generation of the Bible.
We are not any generation of the Bible!
The 1st century Church was fulfilling the Law in the New Covenant of Israel.
Why did God make a New Covenant with Israel?
It’s because the Old Covenant did not work.
Israel had broken the ten commandments and worshipped idols, therefore God scattered them in the nations.
But He promised to make a New Covenant where He would forgive their sins that they committed under the old covenant, and He would not remember their past sins anymore.
He would write the law in their heart by the Holy Spirit so that they wouldn’t sin anymore against Him. They would fulfill/obey the law of following Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit.
(Jeremiah 31-32, Hebrews 8-10)
God destroyed the old covenant and Jerusalem in AD70.
Israel failed to accept Jesus and therefore the Bible/scriptures ended with them!
– There are no Apostles after the 1st Century.
– There are no scriptures after that time.
The Law ended in AD70.
The Law does not exist today.
There are no commandments of works.
This is why our faith today looks nothing like the Biblical faith.
We live today in a post-Biblical age where there are no commandments of works.
The Law does not exist. Therefore God is not asking us to fulfill the law and He is not writing any laws in our heart today (all of that was for Israel).
Only Grace remains today for the Gentile world.
We are not commanded anything today.
The world is already forgiven and made righteous.
All we need to do is receive the free gift of life in Jesus Christ.
Those who don’t receive it will perish without life.
God is saving people based on His will, choosing people based on His grace. He gives them faith to believe in Jesus.
Nobody can generate faith on their own.
He gives the gifts of the Spirit based on His will.
He gives the fruit of the Spirit based on His will.
It’s all based on predestination and His will, not based on us doing anything or trying hard.
God does everything according to His will and purpose,
He has compassion on whom He chooses.
Man has no choice in any of this.
There are no commandments to do anything.
There are no works to do.
No 10 commandments.
No loving others to follow Jesus or fulfill the law.
No confession of sins.
No judgment of works.
No tests/trials/tribulations of faith.
No carrying the cross.
Nothing to do at all…
Only the finished work of Jesus Christ remains.
Whoever is thirsty can come and drink/eat from the water/tree of life (Revelation 21-22).
Only grace remains.
We are sinless, righteous, perfect, holy, blameless, spotless, sanctified by the cross and resurrection, to all who believe.
We believe in Jesus to be righteous without any works.