The law requires you to love God with all your heart and sell everything to the poor…otherwise you will not be saved by the law….therefore give up and CHOOSE GRACE by FAITH in Jesus to be SAVED apart from the law!
Some people quote this passage thinking that they are SAVED by the ten commandments…..but they don’t read the full passage…
MATT 19 “16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” 17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 “Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’” 20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
- Jesus told him to keep the 10 commandments to be saved.
- The man said he did all that.
- But he still lacked something.
- Why is that? The Law said to LOVE GOD with ALL YOUR heart, soul, and strength !!
- Jesus showed that you cannot LOVE GOD and LOVE MONEY at the same time
- If you REALLY want to be SAVED by the keeping the law then you have to LOVE God and HATE money….(MATT 6:24)
This is why Jesus commanded him to SELL everything and be like Jesus.
MATT 19 “21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth…..25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?” 26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
- See this…the command to sell everything was about SALVATION….. This is why the disciples were ASTONISHED and asked “WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED” ???
- Jesus said it is IMPOSSIBLE for man !!!
- Jesus showed clearly that NO MAN is keeping the law….because nobody has sold everything and loved God with all their hearts! Nobody carried the cross…
- The ONLY MAN who kept the law is JESUS.
This is why ONLY JESUS said HE FULFILLED the LAW by His PERFECT sinless life that the LAW required.
MATT 5 “17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.”