Under the Law (old covenant)
– a sinner is one who broke 1 commandment.
– a righteous person is one who kept all the 613 commandments.
– it was all about works
– no one was righteous except Jesus Christ who perfectly kept the law without sin.
Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead
to make a New Covenant
Under Grace (new covenant)
– a sinner is one who does not believe in Jesus.
– a righteous person is one who believes in Jesus.
– it is all about faith in Jesus and not our works
5 Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.” 6 But the righteousness that is by faith says:
9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
4 Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.”
If you believe in Jesus then you are not a sinner,
but you are righteous, holy, perfect, blameless, beloved child of God, sinless, spotless, sanctified, saint, blessed.
You are righteous not by works but only by faith in Jesus Christ.