In the past I have heard many Christians say that our generation is the Laodicean church that is lukewarm. They refer to the passage in Revelation here:
Revelation 3 ” 14 “To the angel of the assembly in Laodicea write: “The Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of God’s creation, says these things: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot. 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of my mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing;’ and don’t know that you are the wretched one, miserable, poor, blind, and naked; 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich; and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I reprove and chasten. Be zealous therefore, and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with me. 21 He who overcomes, I will give to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also overcame, and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies.””
Jesus was chastising the Laodicean church for being lukewarm regarding their works:
- They were trusting in their wealth and not in Christ.
- They were actually blind and naked
- The believer is clothed with Christ’s righteousness. (Isaiah 61:10)
- The unbeliever is naked (Revelation 16:15)
- The believer is not blind but is in the light (Ephesians 5:18, 1 John 2:10)
- The unbeliever is blind and is in darkness (John 9:39, 2 Corinthians 4:4, )
- They were counseled to buy gold refined in fire
- This refers to believers who have faith that is refined in fire and proven to be true (1 Peter 1:7)
- This proves that these Laodiceans did not have any saving faith.
- Jesus was not part of this Church but standing outside knocking the door!
- Its because this Church was Christian only in name.
- They did not really believe in Christ but were trusting in their riches.
- They had no faith – they were not even saved.
This is why Jesus told them to open the door to Him and the true Gospel of grace that would save them by faith.
They were not even saved but were sitting on the fence regarding the gospel.
They were not hot by fully believing in Christ
They were not cold (outright unbelievers who rejected Christ).
But they were lukewarm – claiming to be believers but not actually saved.
Jesus wished they were either hot or cold. If they did not make their stand, then Christ would spit them out of His mouth – they would not be saved.
For the believer, we are one with the Lord and cannot be disowned or spat out.
1 Corinthians 6 “17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit. “
Even if we struggle in faith, He is faithful and will not leave us because we are ONE with Him.
2 Timothy 2 “If we are faithless, he remains faithful;
for he can’t deny himself.”
We are the Bride of Christ and Jesus will never abandon His wife or spit her out!
Ephesians 5 “25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the assembly, and gave himself up for it; 26 that he might sanctify it, having cleansed it by the washing of water with the word, 27 that he might present the assembly to himself gloriously, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without defect.”
We belong to Him and He belongs to us!
Song of Solomon 6:3 “I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.”