After 4 years, I am no longer Full-Preterist. I am now an Evangelical Christian.
Full-Preterism says that the 2nd coming of Christ and final judgment of the Bible happened in 70AD.
Full-Preterism is a false teaching with three incorrect conclusions:
– Evangelical Full-Preterists say that salvation continues even after the final judgment of 70AD. This is not true because salvation cannot happen after the final judgment.
– Israel-Only Full-Preterism believes that only Israelites and Gentiles belonging to 12 Tribes were saved in 70AD and that there is no salvation today. This is not true because Jesus Christ saves all people who have faith in Him.
– Full-Preterist Universal reconciliation says that all humanity is saved post-70AD. This is not true because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. If faith was needed before 70AD, then it is needed today as well.
All three of those conclusions are clearly illogical because Full-Preterism has these specific problems:
– Full-Preterism does not handle the TWO resurrections and the 1000 symbolic year gap in Revelation 20. Some say that the 1000-years was from 30AD till 70AD. Others say that the 1000-years was from 70AD till AD136. But both of these conclusions are just illogical and wrong because we cannot force 1000 years into 40 or 70-year periods!
– Full-Preterism cannot handle the fact that death, pain and evil still happen in this world clearly ignoring Revelation 21-22 where the new heaven and earth are supposed to be free of all death, pain, sin and the curse. Clearly, we are not in the new heaven and earth.
– Full-Preterism spiritualizes/symbolizes the resurrection saying that a literal resurrection did not take place and that there is no more judgment or resurrection. But the Bible clearly shows that resurrection would happen on the last day when the believers would receive individual resurrected glorified immortal bodies like Jesus. Clearly, that has not happened!
The Book of Revelation was the UNSEALING of ALL Biblical prophecy that came before it. Therefore we must study this Book to understand the Final judgment. We cannot ignore or spiritualize things but honor the Bible for what it says.
The first 19 Chapters of Revelation were talking about the events in the 1st Century:
Revelation 1-3 are specific instructions to the 7 churches in Asia in the 1st Century.
Revelation 4-5 describes the scene in heaven with Christ ascending to God’s throne after His death and resurrection.
In Revelation 6, we see the 6 seals being opened that mirror the events of Matthew 24 – wars, earthquakes, famines, persecution that happened in Israel in the 1st Century. That was the time of Great Tribulation that will never be repeated.
In Revelation 7, we see that the 144,000 from Israel are being sealed with the Holy Spirit before 70AD. The rest of the believers are shown in heaven having overcome the great tribulation.
In Revelation 12, we see that Satan is persecuting the Church – the offspring of the woman (12 tribes of Israel).
In Revelation 13, we see the Beast and False Prophet (Jewish kings, zealots, high priests) uses the authority of Satan to persecute the Church.
The mark of the beast is the false worship of Israel’s Law (passover, circumcision, temple, sacrifices, etc) instead of the true worship of Jesus Christ.
In Revelation 11, we see Jerusalem trampled for 42 months from 66-70AD by the Beast.
In Revelation 8,9,10,15,16 we see judgments on Israel.
In Revelation 9, the locusts are the Roman armies that trample Jerusalem for 5 months in the year 70AD when they defeat the Jews. (Also see Joel 2).
In Revelation 14 we see the 144,000 Israelite believers who are resurrected with Christ.
In Revelation 17-19 we see the judgment on Babylon – the city of Jerusalem who persecuted the saints. The prostitute of Babylon is seated on the beast (Jewish kings) but the beast burns the city between 66-70AD.
In Revelation 19, the wedding feast of the Lamb begins – we see the Jerusalem was destroyed in the fire in 70AD. This was manifest through the Roman armies defeating Israel.
Revelation 19 ”
19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army. 20 But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. 21 The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh.”
– The beast and false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire ALIVE (not killed/resurrected).
– The rest of the people were killed but not resurrected in 70AD!
Revelation 20 describes TWO RESURRECTIONS:
The First resurrection in 70AD and the 2nd resurrection in the FUTURE:
Revelation 20 ” 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time. 4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years. 7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever. 11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.”
– Satan is bound from deceiving the nations and the martyrs are resurrected in 70AD.
– Who are the resurrected martyrs? These are ONLY the 144,000 Israelites from Revelation 14 who did not worship the beast during the great tribulation! This is the FIRST RESURRECTION that happened in 70AD.
– Who did Satan deceive prior to 70AD? He deceived Jews and Gentile proselytes in all nations to come to fight in Jerusalem and worship the beast (Old Covenant Israel) and they were destroyed in 70AD.
– The Day of the Lord began in 70AD with judgment on Israel and continues for 1000 years. Christ rules with the martyrs on earth for 1000 years. They rule with a rod of iron over the Jews. The Jews try to revolt in AD136 through the Bar Kokhba revolt but they are crushed by the Romans (rod of iron). The Roman Empire converted to Christianity in 380AD and the faith spread to the nations for the last 2000 years.
– The 1000 year period is a LONG symbolic period – the actual duration is not known to man. It is certainly NOT 40 years or 70 years but it is greater than a literal 1000 years. We are living today within the 1000-year period of Revelation 20.
– At the end of the 1000-years, Satan is loosed to deceive the nations and gather them to battle in Jerusalem. They are like the sand on the seashore. Israel in the Old Testament is described in the same terms (sand on the seashore – 1st Kings 4:20, Jeremiah 33:22). The deception is the SAME as what happened in 70AD when Israelites tried to capture Jerusalem and establish their kingdom on earth.
– In 1948, Satan deceived the Jews and Gentile proselytes in all nations and brought Israel back to their land for the first time after 70AD. In 1967, Israel captured Jerusalem in the 6-day war. The very fact that Israel is in their land after 70AD is proof that we are still in the old heaven and earth! (Plus the fact that death has not been yet destroyed).
– Their plan is to rebuild the Temple, restore the Sanhedrin, the Priesthood and sacrifices – they are trying to resurrect the old covenant. This may be the Satanic deception that goes against the finished work of Jesus Christ, and also the spread of Islam that began in the 7th century and grew rapidly to populate all nations surrounding Israel additionally could be a sign of the events of Revelation 20. I am not 100% sure whether these are the signs of the “end” or will there be more events to happen in the future. But at some point in the future, the END will come. Fire will come down from heaven and destroy the nations. This seems very similar to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah by a meteor/asteroid. The world will be burnt with fire.
– The SECOND and FINAL resurrection will happen when the current heaven and earth are destroyed (As Peter prophesies below):
2nd Peter 3
“5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly. 8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare…..That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”
-Peter said that the earth was flooded in the time of Noah. This was not Jerusalem but the entire world. The same earth was going to be destroyed by fire in the last day. This means that the old heaven and earth is not only Israel but the entire planet. The Day of the Lord is 1000 years that began in 70AD and ends after the symbolic 1000 years when the first heaven and earth are destroyed by fire.
– It will bring a new heaven and earth with righteousness and free of sin.
– This is very similar to Revelation 20-21 where the Day of the Lord begins in 70AD and continues for 1000 years and then the heaven and earth are destroyed by fire.
“Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away……27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.”
– After the destruction of the first heaven and earth, the resurrected Church comes down from heaven to the new earth.
– There will be NO MORE DEATH or PAIN in the new heaven and earth!
– There will be NO MORE CURSE.
– There are NO SINNERS but only those who are in the Book of Life. This means that only believers in Christ are present in the new heaven and earth!
– The believers from the nations are HEALED/SAVED by the tree of life – this is the resurrection of the dead into immortality!
Full-Preterism denies a literal resurrection but such a belief actually goes against the Bible and Christ!
1st Corinthians 15 “12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.”………….50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”
– We are living in flesh and blood today and not resurrected bodies.
– In the future, the final SECOND resurrection takes place when Christ’s 2nd coming is manifest in the clouds – the dead in Christ will be raised and caught up together in the clouds with the believers who are alive at the time to join Jesus in the clouds in the New Jerusalem.
– After the first heaven and earth are destroyed in the fire, the resurrected New Jerusalem will come down to the new heaven & earth.
– Death will finally be abolished and there is no more death in the new heaven and earth – the Church will be resurrected by eating from the tree of life and we will finally SEE God and Jesus (Revelation 22 “And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads”)
The Gospel of John was written AFTER 70AD – AFTER the book of Revelation was written:
Revelation 10 “11 Then I was told, “You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, languages and kings.”
Unlike the 3 other Gospels (Matt/Mark/Luke), the Gospel of John has no mention of the siege of Jerusalem. This is clear evidence that it was written AFTER 70AD. This Gospel was written to the nations specifically that live in the time AFTER 70AD until the END. John did not die in the tribulation but remained alive until the coming of Christ as Jesus prophesied in John 21:22-24. John died a natural death in AD100 after he wrote his Gospel. This Gospel of John is very simple – salvation by faith in Christ.
John 3 “16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.”
John 20 “31 these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”
The wedding feast of the Lamb began in 70AD when Jerusalem was burnt down but people are being invited into the feast AFTER 70AD until the future resurrection.
Revelation 19 “For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.”
Matthew 22 “Come to the wedding banquet.’ 5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless. 13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
– We see God inviting people to the wedding feast AFTER 70AD !! But only the people who wear wedding clothes are allowed. Only those who have washed their robes by the blood of the Lamb – only those whose names are written in the Book of Life are allowed into the New Jerusalem at the final resurrection! The Book of Life is for all who believe in Christ to receive immortality.
The event of 70AD is also described in the parable of the vineyard below. God sent the Prophets to Israel who were killed. Then He finally sent Jesus to Israel who crucified Him. God then destroyed the “vineyard” (Israel) in 70AD and moved the kingdom to the nations (Gentiles) for the last 2000 years until the FINAL HARVEST in the 2nd coming of Christ in the future.
Matthew 21 ” 33 “Listen to another parable: There was a landowner who planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a winepress in it and built a watchtower. Then he rented the vineyard to some farmers and moved to another place. 34 When the harvest time approached, he sent his servants to the tenants to collect his fruit. 35 “The tenants seized his servants; they beat one, killed another, and stoned a third. 36 Then he sent other servants to them, more than the first time, and the tenants treated them the same way. 37 Last of all, he sent his son to them. ‘They will respect my son,’ he said. 38 “But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, ‘This is the heir. Come, let’s kill him and take his inheritance.’ 39 So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. 40 “Therefore, when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?” 41 “He will bring those wretches to a wretched end,” they replied, “and he will rent the vineyard to other tenants, who will give him his share of the crop at harvest time.” 42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: “‘The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes’? 43 “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. 44 Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed.” 45 When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard Jesus’ parables, they knew he was talking about them. 46 They looked for a way to arrest him, but they were afraid of the crowd because the people held that he was a prophet.
So then, the Gospel is being preached today in the 1000-year reign of Revelation 20:
Jesus Christ – the Son of God – died for your sins, was buried and rose the third day! Everyone who believes in Jesus Christ will be saved and resurrected into glory on the LAST DAY!
John 6 “40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”